Mushroom Paella a la Maestre
- 250g field mushrooms, sliced
- 600ml mushroom stock (or you can use a salt-reduced vegetable stock)
- 250g Spanish rice (you can also use arborio or a medium grain rice)
- Chives, to garnish
- 2 button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 50g grated manchego cheese (or your choice of reduced-fat cheese)
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges,to serve
- Sofrito sauce
- 2 large ripe oxheart or other fleshy type tomatoes, chopped
- 2 large roasted red capsicums, from jar
- 3 portabello mushrooms, ripped into pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- ½ bunch fresh parsley
- ½ bunch chives
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 Make the sofrito: place all of the sofrito ingredients in a food processor and process to a pesto consistency.
2 Heat a 30cm frying pan or a paella pan over high heat. Add sofrito and cook 3–4 minutes, or until tomatoes start to become juicy. Add the field mushrooms and mushroom stock, and bring to the boil.
3 Sprinkle in rice and reduce to a medium heat. Continue cooking for about 16–18 minutes. Do not stir. When rice is tender and the liquid has almost fully reduced, cook for a further 2 minutes to achieve ‘soccarrada’ (crust on the bottom of the pan).
4 Season the mixture to taste with cracked black pepper and garnish with chives, thinly sliced button mushrooms, radish and grated cheese. Serve the mushroom paella with lemon wedges.
You can pour any leftover sofrito into ice-cube trays & freeze for later.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 8.5g
–Saturated fat 2.3g
Dietary fibre 9.9g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like
Capsicum, peppers recipes