Chocolate gateau made healthier
- For the sponge
- 150g reduced-fat Greek yoghurt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup self-raising flour, sifted
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 1¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- For the filling
- 100g 70% dark chocolate
- 1½ tablespoons agave syrup
- 400g reduced-fat Greek yoghurt
- 350g frozen berries, thawed
1 Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4 and fully line an 18cm loose-bottomed cake tin with baking paper. Put all the sponge ingredients in a large bowl and whisk until smooth. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the surface, then bake for 35–40 min until just springy to the touch. Cool in the tin for 10 min, then turn out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
2 To make the filling, put 75g of the chocolate into a plastic food bag with the agave syrup and 1½ tablespoons water, seal, then put the bag in a bowl of hot water for a few min or until the chocolate is melted. Squeeze the bag to mix the ingredients, then set aside to cool to room temperature.
3 For the filling, put the yoghurt in a mixing bowl. Snip off a corner of the bag containing the cooled chocolate mixture, then pour it into the yoghurt and use a spoon to create a marble effect. Transfer 2 tablespoons of the yoghurt mixture to a small bowl and set aside.
4 Slice the cooled cake horizontally into three equal layers. Put the bottom layer on a board or plate, cut side up, then spread with half the yoghurt mixture and scatter over half of the berries (reserving a handful of berries for the topping). Spread the remaining yogurt mixture over the middle layer of the cake, then put on top of the base layer and scatter with the other half of the berries. Put the remaining layer of cake on top, cut side down.
5. To decorate, spoon the reserved 2 tablespoons of the yoghurt mixture on top of the cake, then scatter with the reserved berries. Cut the remaining chocolate into shards with a sharp knife or shave into curls, then sprinkle over the top.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 7g
–Saturated fat 3.6g
Dietary fibre 2.7g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information