Pasta e fagioli
(at time of publication)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ teaspoon dried Italian herbs (basil, oregano and parsley)
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground coriandercilantroX
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- zest of lemon lemon ½ lemon
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 cups button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups silver beet, sliced
- 400g kumarasweet-potatoX or pumpkin, peeled and cut into 3 cm chunks
- 2 x 400g cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 400g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 3 cups water
- 400g can crushed tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 20g parmesan rind (optional)
- 2 cups orzo
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup finely grated parmesan
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onions, celery and garlic and cook for 2—3 minutes. Add herbs and spices and cook for a further 2 minutes.
2 Transfer contents of pan to slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients, except pasta, balsamic and parsley.
3 Turn slow cooker to low heat, cover and cook for 7 hours.
4 Half an hour before serving, stir in orzo and continue cooking.
5 Remove parmesan rind (if using), and stir in balsamic vinegar.
6 Serve hot, topped with grated parmesan and chopped parsley.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free pasta and check ground spices, stock and mustard are gluten free.
Freeze your leftover parmesan rinds and add them to slow cooker dishes like this to help develop robust flavours.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 8g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 11g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.