Potato and chana dhal curry
Time to make: 45 mins
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1 1/2 cups chana dhal (yellow lentils)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon dried coriandercilantroX
- 2 x 400g cans Indian-style tomatoes
- 1.2L water
- 1.5kg waxy potatoes, peeled, diced
- 4 cups cooked rice, to serve
- 4 cups blanched beans, to serve
- handful chopped fresh coriandercilantroX, to serve
Total fat 5g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 8g
1 Wash lentils well in several changes of water until water is clear. Drain.
2 Heat a large deep saucepan over a medium-high heat and add oil. Add mustard seeds. As seeds pop stir in ginger and garlic. Lightly fry for 30 seconds. Add coriander and fry for 30 more seconds.
3 Add tomatoes and lentils to pan. Cover with water. Bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes until lentils are soft. Add potatoes and simmer on a low heat for 15 minutes or until tender. Serve with rice, beans and sprinkle over coriander.
To freeze: Pack in a freezer-safe container. Freeze for up to 6 weeks. To thaw, defrost in microwave for 10 minutes then place in a saucepan on the stove top and reheat gently until simmering.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us