Chicken casserole – Spanish-style
Last updated date: 12 October 2020
- 1 dried chilli
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 40g chorizo, diced
- 800g boneless and skinless chicken thighs
- spray oil (optional)
- 2 green capsicums, cut into chunks
- 5 cups button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or oregano, plus extra to garnish
- 3 tablespoons tomato purée
- 1 cup reduced-salt chicken stock
- ¾ cup white wine
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- ⅓ cup green olives, sliced
1 Preheat the slow cooker. Soak the dried chilli in boiling water for 10 min to soften, then drain and chop.
2 Meanwhile, heat a non-stick frying pan, then add the olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5–6 min until softened. Add the chorizo, then cook for 2 min. Add the chicken and cook for about 5 min until browned – spray with oil if needed.
3 Put the chicken mixture in the slow cooker. Add the chilli, peppers, mushrooms, carrots, paprika, turmeric and thyme or oregano. Mix the tomato purée with the stock, wine and ½ cup water, then add to the slow cooker and stir. Cover and cook on high for 3 hr or on low for 5–6 hr.
4 About 20 min before the end of the cooking time, cook the rice according to the pack instructions. Drain, then add to the pot with the peas and olives and cook for a further 10 min. Serve garnished with extra herbs.
Make it dairy free: Leave out the chorizo
No slow cooker? Cook on the lowest heat on the hob in a lidded casserole for 2–3 hr.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 10.3g
–Saturated fat 2.6g
Dietary fibre 8g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.