Pumpkin, spinach and feta tart with brown rice crust
Time to make: 55 mins
( Hands-on time: 15 mins )
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs (such as basil, oregano or Italian herbs)
- oil spray
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 rashers lean bacon (200g), fat trimmed, chopped
- 2 cups diced cooked pumpkin
- 1 cup drained cooked spinach (around 200g frozen)
- 100g feta cheese, chopped
- 3/4 cup grated edam cheese
- 1 cup trim milk
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 teaspoons sesame seeds
Total fat 15g
Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 3g
1 Preheat oven to 180ºC. To make base, place rice, eggs, parmesan and herbs in a bowl. Mix well. Press into sides and base of pie tin. Place plastic wrap over rice and press into shape through this. Bake for 10 minutes.
2 To make filling, lightly spray a non-stick frying pan with oil and stir-fry onion and bacon until cooked. Place in rice crust together with pumpkin, spinach and cheeses.
3 In a bowl combine milk, eggs, thyme and pepper. Pour into tart over other ingredients. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Cook for 35-45 minutes or until filling is set and surface is golden brown. Leave to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Serve with a mixed salad.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us