Vege and lentil curry with coconut rice
(at time of publication)
- ½ cup brown rice
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk powder (we used Stir)
- oil spray
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced in small batons
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup frozen broad beansfavaX, defrosted and pods removed
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 400g can lentils in spring water, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup reduced-salt vegetable stock or miso (made with 2 teaspoons miso paste and 1 cup water)
- 1 tablespoon no-added-salt tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- juice of 1 lemon or lime
- fresh coriandercilantroX and/or kaffir lime leaves, to garnish
- To a saucepan, add rice, coconut milk powder and 1 cup of water and mix well. Bring to the boil over a medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cover, simmering for 20-25 minutes, until rice is cooked.
- Meanwhile, spray a large pan with oil and set over a medium-high heat. Add garlic, carrot, spring onions and ginger and cook for 2 minutes. Add broccoli, mushrooms, broad beans and half of the chilli and stir-fry for 5 minutes. Add spices and stir to combine.
- Add lentils, stock or miso, tomato paste and brown sugar and bring to a simmer for 8-10 minutes, until liquid reduces slightly. Squeeze lemon juice over and add remaining chilli.
- Divide curry and coconut rice between 2 plates. Serve garnished with coriander and/or kaffir lime leaves.
Make it vegan: Check stock (or miso) is vegan.
This recipe is from our Weeknight meal planner feature – everything you need for four nights of delicious, nutritionist-approved meals for two, for under $75. Just grab your shopping list and get dinner done!
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 12g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 18g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us