Apple crumble muffins
- 1 cup plain flourall purpose flourX
- ¾ cup wholemeal flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons ground ginger
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- ½ cup rolled oatsoatmeal uncookedX
- ½ cup light muscovado sugar
- 1 large apple, diced
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup skim milk
- 3½ tablespoons reduced-fat spread, melted
- For the crumble topping
- 1 tablespoon wholemeal flour
- 1½ tablespoon light muscovado sugar
- ¼ cup rolled oatsoatmeal uncookedX
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat spread
1 Heat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases. Sift the flours, baking powder, ginger and nutmeg into a large bowl. Add any bits of bran left in the sieve to the bowl, then stir in the oats, sugar and apple.
2 Whisk the eggs and milk together in a jug, then add to the bowl of dry ingredients with the melted spread. Stir until the mixture is just combined.
3 To make the crumble topping, combine the 1tbsp flour, the sugar and rolled oats in a mixing bowl. Use your fingertips to rub in the spread until the mixture forms coarse crumbs.
4 Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cases, then sprinkle each with the crumble mixture. Bake for 20 min or until the muffins are golden and an inserted skewer comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 3.7g
–Saturated fat 0.9g
Dietary fibre 2.6g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.