Red lentil vegetable dhal
(at time of publication)
- 1 leek, tough green end removed
- 2 tablespoon peanut oil or canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 cinnamon stick or ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup dried red lentils, washed, drained (see tip)
- ½ x 400g can light coconut milk
- 600ml water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ pumpkin, skin and seeds removed (500g flesh)
- 400g green beans, cut in short lengths
- 4 wholemeal roti, to serve
1 Cut leeks in half lengthways, cut in half again lengthways then slice finely. Heat a medium-sized saucepan to high and add oil. Add sliced leek. Stir to toss then lower heat. Cook for a few minutes until soft. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add curry powder and cinnamon and stir over heat for 1 more minute.
2 Add lentils to saucepan and pour in coconut milk and water. Add salt. Bring to the boil, stir then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
3 Cut pumpkin in even-sized 2cm pieces. Add to dhal. Stir, return to the boil then cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 12 more minutes. Add beans, cover and cook for 3 minutes. Serve as is with fresh roti, flat bread or steamed rice.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 15g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 12g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us