Savoury porridge with mushrooms, thyme, feta and kale
(at time of publication)
- ¾ cup (85g) wholegrain rolled oatsoatmeal uncookedX
- 2 cups water
- spray oil
- 100g brown mushrooms, wiped clean, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 75g trimmed kale leaves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, plus extra to garnish
- 25g feta, crumbled
1 Place oats in a medium non-stick saucepan with water; stir, and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, stirring gently from time to time, for 10—12 minutes or so, or until the oats have a thick and creamy consistency.
2 Meanwhile heat a large non-stick frying pan over a high heat and spray lightly with oil. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 3—4 minutes or until golden. Add the garlic, kale and thyme and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until kale is wilted.
3 Stir the mushroom mixture and three-quarters of the feta through the porridge. Divide between two serving bowls; top with remaining feta and garnish with extra thyme leaves.
Three nutritious reasons to try savoury oats:
- Oats are high in soluble fibre and have a low GI, giving you long-lasting energy.
- They help fight off hunger, especially with added protein, such as a perfectly poached egg or a cube of feta.
- Adding leafy greens helps increase your daily serves of all-important veges.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 10g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 8g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.