Scattered sushi (Chirashizushi)
(at time of publication)
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice
- ½ cup red or white quinoa
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 150g fresh salmon
- 150g fresh tuna
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame
- 2 carrots, julienned or peeled in ribbons
- pickled ginger
- nori seaweed, finely shredded
- toasted sesame seeds (½ teaspoon per person)
- 8 teaspoons salt-reduced soy sauce, for dipping
- Cabbage salad
- 4 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
1 Combine rice and quinoa in a pot and cover with water by about 2cm. Bring to the boil then lower heat to very low. Cover and cook until water is absorbed and rice and quinoa are tender — for about 25 minutes. When cooked, combine vinegar, sugar and salt and pour over rice. Add sesame seeds and stir to combine and spread dressing and seeds through the rice. Divide rice mixture among serving bowls.
2 To make salad, please cabbage, sesame oil, vinegar and sugar in a bowl. Toss to combine.
3 Thinly slice fish sashimi-style. Cook edamame in microwave or on stove top for about 2 minutes until just tender. Arrange vegetables and fish on top of rice. Add garnishes. Serve with soy sauce and cabbage salad.
Make it gluten free: Use rice noodles and check soy sauce is gluten free.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 23g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 7g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us