Silver beet and butter bean soup
(at time of publication)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups reduced-salt vegetable stock (we used OXO cubes)
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups shredded silver beet (about ½ bunch, white stalks removed)
- 400g can no-added-salt butter beans, rinsed, drained
- ½ cup reduced-fat ricotta
- 30g grated reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 4 slices wholemeal sourdough bread
1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped leek, celery and carrot and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and cook for a further 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
2 Add stock and water to saucepan, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. Add silver beet and butter beans, cover and simmer for 5 minutes, or until the silver beet is tender.
3 Combine ricotta and cheddar cheese in a small bowl. Grill bread on both sides in the oven until golden. Top with cheese mixture and bake for a further 10 minutes, or until warm and cheddar is melted. Serve with cheese toast.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free bread and check stock is gluten free.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 9g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 9g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.