Spinach and ricotta gnudi with tomato and olive sauce
(at time of publication)
- spray oil
- 3 cups (120g) baby spinach
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour, plus extra for rolling
- 120g ricotta
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic chives
- 1 teaspoon lemon-infused or plain olive oil
- 2 teaspoons grated zest of lemon
- pinch of salt
- grind of black pepper
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 6 pitted kalamata olives, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine
- ½ cup water
- 2 teaspoons finely grated parmesan
- black pepper
- Heat a large pot over a medium heat and spray with oil. Add spinach and cook for 2 minutes, or until wilted. Remove from pot and, when cool enough to handle, chop roughly. In a large bowl, place spinach.
- Add eggs, flour, ricotta, chives, oil, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Mix well to make a sticky dough.
- Fill the pot used to cook spinach with water and bring to the boil.
- Meanwhile, in another pot combine all sauce ingredients. Place over a high heat and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Cook until reduced slightly (about 10 minutes).
- Sprinkle a board with flour and tip gnudi dough on to board. Divide dough in two and lightly shape each half into a long sausage. Sprinkle with more flour if needed. Cut each ‘sausage’ into 13 or 14 even-sized pieces.
- Drop a third of the gnudi in the pot of boiling water and cook in 2-3 batches. When they float to the surface, remove from pot with slotted spoon. They should be springy to touch, not soggy.
- Serve gnudi with sauce. Garnish with parmesan and black pepper.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free flour.
Make it low FODMAP: Use gluten-free flour and swap garlic for 1 tablespoon of garlic-infused oil. Check olive brine is garlic free.
Make a double batch and freeze gnudi. Cook from frozen.
This recipe is from our Weeknight meal planner feature – everything you need for four nights of delicious, nutritionist-approved meals for two, for under $116. Just grab the shopping list and you’re ready!
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 22g
–Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 6g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.