Spinach and ricotta gnudi with tomato and olive sauce
(at time of publication)
- oil spray
- 3 cups (120g) baby spinach
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour, plus extra for rolling
- 120g ricotta
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic chives
- 1 teaspoon lemon-infused or plain olive oil
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- pinch of salt
- grind of black pepper
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 6 pitted kalamata olives, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine
- ½ cup water
- 2 teaspoons finely grated parmesan
- black pepper
- Heat a large pot over a medium heat and spray with oil. Add spinach and cook for 2 minutes, or until wilted. Remove from pot and, when cool enough to handle, chop roughly. In a large bowl, place spinach.
- Add eggs, flour, ricotta, chives, oil, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Mix well to make a sticky dough.
- Fill the pot used to cook spinach with water and bring to the boil.
- Meanwhile, in another pot combine all sauce ingredients. Place over a high heat and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Cook until reduced slightly (about 10 minutes).
- Sprinkle a board with flour and tip gnudi dough on to board. Divide dough in two and lightly shape each half into a long sausage. Sprinkle with more flour if needed. Cut each ‘sausage’ into 13 or 14 even-sized pieces.
- Drop a third of the gnudi in the pot of boiling water and cook in 2-3 batches. When they float to the surface, remove from pot with slotted spoon. They should be springy to touch, not soggy.
- Serve gnudi with sauce. Garnish with parmesan and black pepper.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free flour.
Make it low FODMAP: Use gluten-free flour and swap garlic for 1 tablespoon of garlic-infused oil. Check olive brine is garlic free.
Make a double batch and freeze gnudi. Cook from frozen.
This recipe is from our Weeknight meal planner feature – everything you need for four nights of delicious, nutritionist-approved meals for two, for under $116. Just grab the shopping list and you’re ready!
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 22g
–Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 6g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us