Simple bean soup
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 400g can tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 cups reduced-salt chicken stock
- 400g can cannellini beans
- 1/2 cup brown lentils
- 2 teaspoons pesto (or use whatever herbs you have on hand)
- 1 cup green beans (frozen are fine)
Total fat 4.1g
Saturated fat 0.4g
Dietary fibre 6.9g
1 Heat oil in a large saucepan, add onion and garlic and stir until soft. Add tomatoes, stock, lentils, tomato paste and pesto or herbs. Bring to the boil, stir, reduce heat and simmer.
2 Add the drained cannellini beans and the frozen green beans after 20 minutes and simmer for a further 10 minutes. Add more liquid – water or stock – if you need to.
3 Serve with chopped fresh coriander or parsley if you have it, a whole grain roll and a side salad.
Jazz it up: Add chopped leftover sausages, bacon, chopped vegetables like kumara, potato, broccoli or cauliflower.