Slow-cooked hoisin pork
(at time of publication)
- 2 teaspoons olive or vegetable oil
- 500g diced lean pork
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon salt-reduced soy sauce
- 2 cups liquid no-added-salt chicken stock
- 500g orange kumarasweet-potatoX, peeled, cut in 2cm pieces
- 400g can red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- ⅓ cup fresh coriandercilantroX
1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Place a large, non-stick frying pan over a high heat and add half the oil. Brown pork in 2 batches. Place in a casserole dish. Add remaining oil to pan and cook onion, capsicum, garlic and celery for 5 minutes or until soft.
2 Add tomato paste, tomatoes, hoisin sauce, soy sauce and stock. Bring to the boil. Transfer mixture to casserole dish, cover and bake for 2 hours. After 1 hour check casserole to see if more water is needed. Add 1 cup water if necessary.
3 Add kumara and kidney beans. Cover and return to oven for 1 more hour or until pork is tender. Served garnished with coriander.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free hoisin sauce and soy sauce and check tomato paste and stock are gluten free.
- Slow cooker variation: This recipe can also be cooked for 6–10 hours in a slow cooker on low.
This dish freezes well for up to 1 month.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 10g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 10g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.