Spicy sausage stew with vege mash
(at time of publication)
- 2 medium agria potatoes, cut into chunks (see tips)
- 2 carrots, cut into chunks
- ½ cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- spray oil
- 2 spicy sausages, eg, boerworst or fresh chorizo, chopped in chunks
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ cup red lentils
- ¼ cup white wine (optional)
- ½ cup reduced-salt chicken stock
- ½ tablespoon smoked paprika
- 8 kalettes or Brussels sprouts, quartered
- fresh parsley or thyme, to garnish
- chilli flakes, to garnish (optional)
1 In a saucepan, place potatoes and carrots and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until tender. Drain well. Mash, adding milk, oil and seasoning, to taste. Set aside and keep warm.
2 Spray a frying pan with oil and set over a medium-high heat. Add sausages, onions and garlic and cook until sausages are browned. Add lentils, wine, if using, stock, paprika and 1 cup water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, until lentils are soft. Add extra water, as needed. Add kalettes and cook a further 5 minutes.
3 Serve sausage stew with mash, garnished with herbs and extra chilli, if using.
Make it gluten free: Check sausages, paprika and stock are gluten free.
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 20g
–Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 14g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.