Sweet and sour pineapple chicken
Time to make: 8 hrs 10 mins
( Hands-on time: 10 mins )
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
1/4 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup white vinegar
430g can pineapple pieces in natural juice, drained — juice set aside
2 tablespoons brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
1/4 cup salt-reduced soy sauce
1 cup liquid salt-reduced chicken stock
1 cup water
1 onion, fine diced,
2 red capsicums, roughly chopped
500g chicken tenderloins
3 cups frozen peas
1 1/2 cups rice
2 tablespoons cornflourcornstarchX
3 cups baby spinach
Total fat 3g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 7g
- Place garlic, ginger, tomato sauce, vinegar, pineapple juice (not pieces), sugar, soy sauce, stock and water in slow cooker and stir well. Add onion, capsicums and chicken. Set to low and cook for 7 hours.
- Remove lid, stir well and add peas and pineapple pieces. Cook for 30 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook rice following packet directions.
- With 30 minutes remaining, combine cornflour with enough cold water to form a smooth paste and add to slow cooker. Continue to cook for 30 more minutes.
- Stir in spinach then serve with rice.
Make it gluten free: Check tomato sauce, soy sauce, cornflour and stock are gluten free.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us