Tasty beef and vege pot pies
(at time of publication)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 500g gravy beef or blade steak, fat trimmed, cut in chunks
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped in chunks
- 1 cup salt-reduced beef stock
- 1 cup red wine
- 400g can no-added-salt diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- 2 cups frozen green beans
- 2 cups spinach, silver beet or kale leaves
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes (or adjust to taste)
- 6 sheets filo pastry
- spray oil
- 400g kumarasweet-potatoX, mashed
- 3 cups broccoli, steamed
1 Heat oil in a heavy-based pot over a medium heat. Add beef (in batches if necessary) and cook until browned. Remove from pot and set aside.
2 Add onion and garlic to pot and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add beef back to pot along with carrots, stock, wine, tomatoes, paprika, soy and sugar. Bring to a boil. Simmer, covered, for about 2 hours, or until beef is tender and soft. Add beans, spinach and chilli to the pot and cook until beans are tender, about 5 minutes.
3 Preheat oven to 190°C. Spoon beef into 6 small pie dishes. Take the filo sheets, 2 sheets at a time, and cut into quarters. Scrunch the quarters together. Lay over the filling. Spray with oil.
4 Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until pastry is golden and crisp. Serve pies with kumara and broccoli.
Turn leftovers into this pie! This is a great way to use up any leftover stew or casserole. All you need is 4-6 sheets of filo pastry, partially thawed. Use your leftover stew and follow steps 3 and 4 above.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 10g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 7g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us