Tasty beef and vege pot piesReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 500g gravy beef or blade steak, fat trimmed, cut in chunks
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped in chunks
- 1 cup salt-reduced beef stock
- 1 cup red wine
- 400g can no-added-salt diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- 2 cups frozen green beans
- 2 cups spinach, silver beet or kale leaves
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes (or adjust to taste)
- 6 sheets filo pastry
- spray oil
- 400g kumarasweet-potatoX, mashed
- 3 cups broccoli, steamed
1 Heat oil in a heavy-based pot over a medium heat. Add beef (in batches if necessary) and cook until browned. Remove from pot and set aside.
2 Add onion and garlic to pot and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add beef back to pot along with carrots, stock, wine, tomatoes, paprika, soy and sugar. Bring to a boil. Simmer, covered, for about 2 hours, or until beef is tender and soft. Add beans, spinach and chilli to the pot and cook until beans are tender, about 5 minutes.
3 Preheat oven to 190°C. Spoon beef into 6 small pie dishes. Take the filo sheets, 2 sheets at a time, and cut into quarters. Scrunch the quarters together. Lay over the filling. Spray with oil.
4 Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until pastry is golden and crisp. Serve pies with kumara and broccoli.
Turn leftovers into this pie! This is a great way to use up any leftover stew or casserole. All you need is 4-6 sheets of filo pastry, partially thawed. Use your leftover stew and follow steps 3 and 4 above.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 10g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 7g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information