Tasty lamb and bean soup
(at time of publication)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- ½-1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 3 trimmed lamb shanks (about 600g meat)
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- ½ head cabbage, roughly shredded
- 400g can cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 sprigs rosemary, roughly broken
- 7 cups salt-reduced vegetable or meat stock made with 7 cups water and 4 teaspoons salt-reduced vegetable or meat stock powder
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 Heat oil in a large non-stick pan and cook onion and garlic until softened. Add celery and carrot with chilli flakes and cook for a few more minutes.
2 Transfer to a slow cooker and add the remaining ingredients, adding liquid last. Cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 6 1/2 hours until the meat begins to fall off the bone and is tender.
3 Remove meat from cooker and roughly chop. Return to cooker and heat through. Scatter over fresh basil.
Serve with crusty bread
- This soup is also delicious served with cooked small pasta shapes stirred in.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free stock.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 10g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 6g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.