Spiced chicken and pumpkin pilaf
(at time of publication)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup 1cm-diced pumpkin
- 1 carrot, 1cm diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriandercilantroX
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes (optional)
- ½ cup brown basmati rice
- 1 cup reduced-salt chicken stock
- 1 cup (140g) cooked, shredded chicken
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves or chopped silver beet
- zest and juice of 1 lime, plus extra, to serve (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- black pepper, to taste
1 In a large pot, heat olive oil over a medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add pumpkin, carrot and spices. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
2 Add rice and stir to combine. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add stock, reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for 20-25 minutes, until rice is tender. Add chicken and spinach in the last 5 minutes of cooking, to heat through.
3 Stir through lime zest and juice and parsley. Season with black pepper and extra lime zest and parsley to taste.
Make it gluten free: Check ground spices and stock are gluten free.
This recipe is from our Weeknight meal planner feature – everything you need for four nights of delicious, nutritionist-approved meals for two, for under $67. Just grab the shopping list and you’re ready!
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 15g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 7g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information