Vegetable and lentil soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 cup dried brown lentils
- 1 parsnip, diced
- 3 cups reduced salt vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- bay leaf, thyme sprigs, rosemary sprigs, to taste
- 1 cup slicedgreen beans
- fresh herbs such as parsley or basil, to garnish
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to season
- 4 x 45g wholemeal pita bread
1 Heat oil in a heavy-based saucepan and add onion, garlic, carrots and celery. Gently cook until onions are softened and slightly brown.
2 Add lentils, parsnip, stock, bay leaf, thyme and rosemary. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer gently for about 25 minutes until lentils are tender. Add more liquid (water or stock) if needed.
3 At the last minute, add beans and cook until just tender. Remove bay leaf and woody sprigs and season to taste. Garnish with fresh herbs and serve with pita bread.
- Add leftover lean meat for a meaty version.
- Make it gluten free: Check stock is gluten free and use gluten-free pita brea.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 5g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 14g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like