Vegetable, lentil and bean mole
- cooking oil spray
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 large red capsicum, deseeded, chopped
- 1 large red chilli, deseeded, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons Mexican seasoning mix
- ¾ cup dried green lentils
- 400g can no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
- 420g can red kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 4 cups salt-reduced vegetable stock
- 250g button mushrooms, washed, quartered
- 250g kumarasweet-potatoX, diced
- 1 tablespoon dark chocolate, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriandercilantroX, chopped
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
1 Spray a large saucepan with oil and place over a medium heat. Add onion, capsicum, chilli, garlic and Mexican spice mix. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add lentils and stir well. Add tomatoes, beans and stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
2 Add mushrooms and kumara to saucepan. Stir. Simmer gently, uncovered, for 25 more minutes until vegetables are tender. Stir in chocolate and coriander. Cook gently for 5 more minutes until sauce is thickened. Serve with rice and top with sour cream. Add slices of avocado and extra chopped fresh coriander, if preferred.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 7g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 10g
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free Mexican seasoning, chopped tomatoes and stock. Check chocolate and sour cream are gluten free, too.
Dried green lentils can be found in the soup aisle at the supermarket.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us