Warm chicken tikka pita salad
Time to make: 30 mins , plus 30 mins marinating
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- Chicken tikka
- 1 tablespoon mild curry paste
- 1/3 cup low-fat plain yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon mango or apricot chutney
- 400g lean chicken breast, cubed
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 2 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, halved
- 1 carrot, peeled
- 1 small cucumber
- 130g baby spinach
- 420g can no-added-salt lentils, drained, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriandercilantroX
- 3 (75g) wholemeal pita breads, toasted, torn
- Minty raita
- 4 tablespoons low-fat plain yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 lemon, juice
- oil spray
Total fat 11g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 9g
1 Mix paste, yoghurt and chutney together. Add chicken and season. Toss to coat evenly. Leave to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
2 Meanwhile, prepare salad. Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add cumin seeds with chilli. Cook for a few minutes. Add onions, tomatoes and mushrooms. Cook for a few more minutes. Use a vegetable peeler to make carrot and cucumber ribbons.
3 Place all salad vegetables, except 1/4 of the cucumber ribbons, in a bowl. Add lentils and coriander. Toss lightly. Toast pita breads and tear in quarters.
4 To make raita, mix all raita ingredients together and chop put aside cucumber ribbons then add.
5 Heat a non-stick pan or a griddle with a little oil spray until hot. Cook chicken for 4-5 minutes, turning once until it is lightly charred.
6 Place salad vegetables on a platter with torn pita and top with chicken pieces. Drizzle with raita. Serve with lemon wedges and mint sprigs if you prefer.
- The chicken can be left to marinate overnight in the fridge for a more intense flavour.
- Make it gluten free: Check paste, yoghurt and chutney are gluten free and use gluten-free bread.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us