Austrian chicken schnitzel with red cabbage coleslaw
Time to make: 30 mins
( Hands-on time: 15 mins )
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup finely grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 2 x 200g chicken breast fillets
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 500g kumarasweet-potatoX, thickly sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- 4 cups finely shredded red cabbage
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 cups steamed broccoli florets
Total fat 10g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 8g
1 Preheat oven to 200ºC and line a large baking tray with baking paper. Beat egg in a medium-sized bowl. Combine breadcrumbs and parmesan in another bowl.
2 Cut each chicken breast into two horizontally. Flatten each piece with a meat mallet or with the base of a small frying pan until about 1 cm thick. Sift flour over both sides of chicken. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Dip each piece into the egg and then evenly coat in breadcrumb mixture. Place on prepared baking tray.
3 Spray crumbed chicken on both sides with oil. Bake for 15 minutes, turning once, or until golden and cooked.
4 Meanwhile, steam kumara for 12-15 minutes or until tender. Toss with chives. Toss cabbage in mayonnaise then serve with schnitzel, steamed kumara and broccoli.
- If you can’t find panko crumbs, use regular wholemeal crumbs.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free breadcrumbs and rice flour and check mayonnaise is gluten free.
Rate this recipe
0 People Rated This Recipe
- (0 / 5)