- 500g lean beef, cut into chunks
- 4 teaspoons ground coriandercilantroX
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground mixed peppercorns
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¹/³ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled, diced or grated
- 1 orange kumarasweet-potatoX, peeled, diced
- 3 cooked beetrootbeetsX, diced
- 1½ cups shredded red cabbage
- ¹/³ cup tomato paste
- 1 cup reduced-salt beef or vegetable stock
- boiling water
- To serve
- 4-6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream or low-fat plain yoghurt
- ¹/³ cup fresh coriandercilantroX or parsley
1 In a freezer bag, place beef, coriander, pepper, salt, bay leaves and half of the oil, half of the garlic and half of the parsley.
2 In a pan, heat remaining oil and cook onion until softened. Set aside to cool. In a second freezer bag, place onion, carrot and kumara.
3 In a third freezer bag, place beetroot, cabbage and remaining garlic and parsley.
4 In a jug, combine tomato paste, stock and 1 cup water. Pour into a fourth small freezer bag.
5 Seal each bag, shake to combine ingredients, flatten to remove air, and clearly label. Place flat in the freezer together.
6 Two hours before cooking, remove all bags from freezer. Preheat slow cooker for 5 minutes on low. Empty in the contents of the freezer bags – meat first, then two bags of veges then sauce. Add 1½ cups boiling water. Use a large spoon to break up the ingredients a little.
7 Cover and cook for 7-8 hours. Adjust seasoning. Serve with sour cream and fresh herbs.
Make it gluten free: Check ground coriander, tomato paste, stock and sour cream are gluten free.
Handy hints for slow-cooker freezer bags
Make sure you use proper freezer bags.
- Remove all air from the bags once they are filled.
- Label each bag clearly including the date of freezing.
- Freeze recipe bags in a group together.
- Keep bags as flat as possible when freezing.
- Remove bags from the freezer at least two hours before placing in the slow cooker. Or remove the bags from the freezer the night before, store in the fridge and reduce the amount of boiling water added to them by half.
- Preheat slow cooker before adding the bag contents.
- Always add meat portion to the cooker first.
- Always add liquid bag last.
- Add boiling water to the cooker as the last ingredient when stated in a recipe.
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 18g
–Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 11g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information