Ben’s barbecue kebabs
- stainless steel or bamboo skewers (if using bamboo skewers, soak in water for 30 minutes)
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons salt-reduced soy sauce
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 500g scotch fillet, fat trimmed or your favourite steak
- 2 red capsicums, diced
- 2 red onions, cut in bite-sized chunks
- ½ fresh pineapple, cut in bite-sized chunks
- 12 button mushrooms, halved
- 6 cups (220g) salad greens
- 6 large wholemeal pita breads
1 To make marinade, place marinade ingredients in a deep bowl and stir to mix.
2 Dice beef in thick cubes and add to marinade. Mix gently to coat meat then marinate in fridge for at least an hour.
3 Pierce meat and vegetables alternately, in their listed order, on skewers until skewers are full. Refrigerate prepared kebabs in a sealed container until ready to use.
4 Sear and cook skewers on the barbecue for 3 minutes each side (medium-rare) or until cooked to your liking.
5 Serve with grilled pita bread halves filled with salad greens.
Recipe supplied by Healthy Food Guide reader, Ben Bernstone (37, business coach)
Ben says: “These kebabs are great as you can prepare them in advance on the boat (or at home), then head to the beach with a portable barbecue, or stay aboard and cook. Kebabs make a delicious meal and there’s no need for plates, cutlery or dishes.”
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 8g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 6g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like