Ben’s barbecue kebabs
(at time of publication)
- stainless steel or bamboo skewers (if using bamboo skewers, soak in water for 30 minutes)
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons salt-reduced soy sauce
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 500g scotch fillet, fat trimmed or your favourite steak
- 2 red capsicums, diced
- 2 red onions, cut in bite-sized chunks
- ½ fresh pineapple, cut in bite-sized chunks
- 12 button mushrooms, halved
- 6 cups (220g) salad greens
- 6 large wholemeal pita breads
1 To make marinade, place marinade ingredients in a deep bowl and stir to mix.
2 Dice beef in thick cubes and add to marinade. Mix gently to coat meat then marinate in fridge for at least an hour.
3 Pierce meat and vegetables alternately, in their listed order, on skewers until skewers are full. Refrigerate prepared kebabs in a sealed container until ready to use.
4 Sear and cook skewers on the barbecue for 3 minutes each side (medium-rare) or until cooked to your liking.
5 Serve with grilled pita bread halves filled with salad greens.
Recipe supplied by Healthy Food Guide reader, Ben Bernstone (37, business coach)
Ben says: “These kebabs are great as you can prepare them in advance on the boat (or at home), then head to the beach with a portable barbecue, or stay aboard and cook. Kebabs make a delicious meal and there’s no need for plates, cutlery or dishes.”
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 8g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 6g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.