Mushroom and cannellini bean stroganoff
(at time of publication)
- 25g dried porcini mushrooms
- 25g reduced-fat spread
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 sticks celery, sliced
- 250g Swiss brown mushrooms, halved or quartered, depending on size
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed (optional)
- 3 tablespoons plain flourall purpose flourX
- 200ml dry white wine
- 150ml salt-reduced vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- small bunch thyme
- 410g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- extra-light sour cream, to serve
1 Preheat slow cooker. Put dried mushrooms into a heat-proof bowl. Cover with 200ml boiling water. Soak for 20 minutes.
2 Heat spread and oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add onion and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in celery, fresh mushrooms and garlic (if using) and cook for 2-3 minutes. Mix in flour, then gradually add wine and stock. Stir in mustard and cayenne pepper. Reserve a few thyme sprigs to garnish, then chop the rest and add to pan together with soaked mushrooms and their liquid. Bring to the boil, stirring.
3 Pour mixture into slow cooker, then add beans. Cover and cook on low for 2 1/2-3 hours.
4 To serve, spoon onto plates, garnish with thyme leaves stripped from sprigs and top with dollop of sour cream (if using).
This recipe is for a standard size 3-litre slow-cooker. To make it in a larger cooker, increase the ingredient quantities by half as much again and cook for the same length of time.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 9g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 8g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.