Chicken, fig and kumara tagine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 600g chicken thigh fillets, trimmed, cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriandercilantroX
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 ½ cups (375ml) reduced-salt chicken stock
- ¼ cup chopped dried figs
- 400g kumarasweet-potatoX, peeled, cut into cubes
- coriandercilantroX leaves, to garnish
- 4 cups steamed greens (broccolini and courgette), to serve
1 Heat half of the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook chicken, in batches, for 2–3 minutes, or until browned. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
2 Heat the remaining oil over medium-low heat. Gently fry onion for 3–4 minutes, or until soft. Add garlic, ginger and spices. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, or until fragrant.
3 Return chicken to pan and stir to combine. Add the stock, figs and kumara. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low, partially cover and simmer for 15–20 minutes, or until kumara is tender. Remove lid and simmer for a further 5 minutes, or until sauce is slightly reduced.
4 Garnish tagine with coriander leaves and serve with steamed broccolini and courgette.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 11g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 7g
Make it gluten free: Check stock and ground spices are gluten free.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us