Root vegetable, chickpea and apricot casserole
- 4 large carrots, halved lengthwise, cut in 3-4cm lengths
- 3 large parsnips, halved lengthwise, cut in 3-4cm lengths
- 2 cups peeled, diced pumpkin (3-4cm cubes)
- 1 large red onion, cut in wedges
- ¼ cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 tablespoon Moroccan seasoning
- 1 ¼ cup salt-reduced liquid vegetable stock or water
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes with chilli
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX, drained, rinsed
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 6 tablespoons low-fat plain yoghurt, to serve
1 Turn slow cooker on to low. Place all the ingredients except brown rice, spinach and yoghurt in slow cooker bowl and mix thoroughly. Add 1 1/4 cups water.
2 Cover with lid and cook for 6-7 hours, stirring once or twice if possible during cooking time.
3 Layer serving bowls with brown rice and spinach then spoon over casserole. Serve with a dollop of yoghurt.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 5g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 15g
Make it gluten free: Check Moroccan seasoning, stock and flavoured tomatoes are gluten free.
You will need a large slow cooker to best accommodate all the ingredients.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us