Root vegetable, chickpea and apricot casserole
- 4 large carrots, halved lengthwise, cut in 3-4cm lengths
- 3 large parsnips, halved lengthwise, cut in 3-4cm lengths
- 2 cups pumpkin, peeled and diced (3-4cm cubes)
- 1 large red onion, cut in wedges
- ¼ cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 tablespoon Moroccan seasoning
- 1 ¼ cup salt-reduced liquid vegetable stock or water
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes with chilli
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX, drained, rinsed
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 6 tablespoons low-fat plain yoghurt, to serve
1 Turn slow cooker on to low. Place all the ingredients except brown rice, spinach and yoghurt in slow cooker bowl and mix thoroughly. Add 1 1/4 cups water.
2 Cover with lid and cook for 6-7 hours, stirring once or twice if possible during cooking time.
3 Layer serving bowls with brown rice and spinach then spoon over casserole. Serve with a dollop of yoghurt.
Make it gluten free: Check Moroccan seasoning, stock and flavoured tomatoes are gluten free.
You will need a large slow cooker to best accommodate all the ingredients.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 5g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 15g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like