Chicken, vegetable and barley soup
Time to make: 6 hrs 10 mins
( Hands-on time: 10 mins )
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 3 skinless boneless chicken thighs
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 stalks celery, chopped (leaves reserved)
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn sweetcornXkernels
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1-2 sprigs fresh thyme, marjoram or oregano
- 3 cups salt-reduced liquid chicken stock
- 3 cups water
- 1 courgette, sliced
- 4 thick slices grainy bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely grated hard cheese, to serve
Total fat 13g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 8g
1 Turn slow cooker on to low. Slice chicken thighs and place at the base of slow cooker.
2 Cover with onions, celery, carrot, peas, corn, barley and fresh herbs. Pour in stock and water and cover with lid.
3 Cook for 5-6 hours. Stir once and add courgette 30 minutes before serving.
4 To serve place a bread slice in the base of each serving bowl and drizzle with a little olive oil. Ladle over soup and sprinkle with grated cheese. Serve sprinkled with extra fresh thyme or fresh parsley if you prefer.
Make it gluten free: Use brown rice instead of barley and use gluten-free bread. Check stock is gluten free.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us