Crispy vegetable cakes with steak
- 800g kumarasweet-potatoX, cooked, mashed (orange kumarasweet-potatoX work best)
- oil spray
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder, curry powder or Moroccan seasoning
- 2 courgetteszucchini, summer squashX, grated or chopped
- 2 carrots, grated or chopped
- 1 cup corn sweetcornXkernels
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 4 small lean beef steaks (100g each)
1 Place mash in a large bowl. Heat a non-stick frying pan with a little oil spray. Cook onion until softened. Add chosen seasoning and cook for a few more minutes.
2 Spray pan with a little more oil and add grated (or chopped) vegetables. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Add to kumara mash. Mix well and stir in corn.
3 Divide mixture into 8 even- sized patties. Toss in breadcrumbs. Heat a non-stick frying pan with a little more oil spray and cook cakes for 4 minutes each side, half at a time until lightly golden.
4 Keep warm while steaks are pan-fried with a little more oil spray. Serve 2 cakes with steak.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 10g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 9g
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free varieties of spices (or seasoning) and breadcrumbs.
The vege cakes mixture can be made up in advance, ready for cooking. Keep mixture chilled in the fridge.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us