Fragrant poached chickenReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 2 cups salt-reduced chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt-reduced soy sauce
- 3 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 3cm piece ginger, peeled, sliced
- 4 x 150g skinless chicken breast fillets
- 2 teaspoons cornflourcornstarchX
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 cups steamed rice, to serve
- 3 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- 4 cups steamed bok choy, to serve
- 4 cups steamed broccoli, to serve
1 Combine stock, water, soy sauce, star anise, cinnamon, oil and ginger in a large deep frying pan. Add chicken. Place over a medium heat. Bring to a gentle simmer.
2 Reduce heat and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until chicken is cooked. Drain, reserving 1 1/4 cups of stock. Transfer chicken to a large plate and cover. Place reserved stock in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Combine cornflour and water in a bowl, then add to stock. Stir until well combined and thick. Remove from heat.
3 Spoon rice onto 4 serving plates. Slice chicken and place on rice. Spoon over sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve with steamed bok choy and broccoli.
Make it gluten free: Check stock and soy sauce are gluten free.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 8g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 6g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information