Fresh vegetable and basil pasta sauceReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 capsicum, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 400g can tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- black olives (optional)
- pinch sugar
- 1 tablespoon basil pesto or 1 teaspoon dried basil or a handful basil leaves, torn
- ½ teaspoon dried chilli seeds (optional)
1 Sauté onions, garlic, celery and capsicum in oil for about 5 minutes until lightly browned.
2 Add tomatoes, tomato paste and sugar, cook for another 5 minutes.
3 Add olives, pesto and chilli seeds and mix into cooked pasta.
- Any green vegetable seems to work well so use what you have got.
- Add a dash of wine or a couple of chopped sun-dried tomatoes, add some cooked chicken or seafood, add other vegetables like asparagus tips or chopped steamed spinach… think of the sauce as a base and use your imagination. This is so quick, easy and inexpensive you need never open a jar of sauce for pasta again.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 7.4g
–Saturated fat 1.4g
Dietary fibre 2.3g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information