Fresh vegetable and basil pasta sauce
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 capsicum, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 400g can tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- black olives (optional)
- pinch sugar
- 1 tablespoon basil pesto or 1 teaspoon dried basil or a handful basil leaves, torn
- ½ teaspoon dried chilli seeds (optional)
1 Sauté onions, garlic, celery and capsicum in oil for about 5 minutes until lightly browned.
2 Add tomatoes, tomato paste and sugar, cook for another 5 minutes.
3 Add olives, pesto and chilli seeds and mix into cooked pasta.
- Any green vegetable seems to work well so use what you have got.
- Add a dash of wine or a couple of chopped sun-dried tomatoes, add some cooked chicken or seafood, add other vegetables like asparagus tips or chopped steamed spinach… think of the sauce as a base and use your imagination. This is so quick, easy and inexpensive you need never open a jar of sauce for pasta again.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 7.4g
–Saturated fat 1.4g
Dietary fibre 2.3g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like