Gluten-free hot cross buns
- 3 teaspoons (10g) dried yeast
- 1 ¾ cups warm milk
- 2 tablespoons castor sugar
- 3 ¼ cups (plus 2 tablespoons extra) gluten free bread mix
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground mixed spice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 60g reduced-fat spread
- 2 cups sultanasgolden raisinsX
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons apricot jamjellyX, warmed to glaze
1 Place yeast, milk and sugar in a small mixing bowl. Whisk to dissolve sugar. Rest for 10 minutes.
2 Sift together first measure of bread mix, spices and salt into the large bowl of an electric mixer with dough hooks. Using fingertips, rub through butter.
3 Add sultanas, eggs and yeast mixture. Beat for 7 minutes.
4 Using a 1/3 measuring cup, scoop mixture into generous mounds on a greased 30x20cm sponge-roll tray, making 3 rows of 4 mounds each. Allow space for dough to rise.
5 Rest the dough in a warm place for 45 minutes until almost doubled. Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced.
6 Mix extra 2 tablespoons bread mix, 1 teaspoon sugar and 1 tablespoon water to a paste and pipe crosses on buns.
7 Bake for 25-30 minutes until cooked through and browned. Brush on jam while still warm.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.