HFG creamy chicken and leek pie
(at time of publication)
- spray oil
- 500g chicken breast fillets, trimmed, cut in 3cm pieces
- 2 medium-sized leeks, trimmed, halved, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ¾ cup liquid salt-reduced chicken stock
- ½ cup light sour cream
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 large carrots, sliced in 1cm-thick slices
- 3 sheets filo pastry
- 1 tablespoon skim milk
- 6 cups mesclun
- 2 tomatoes, quartered
- vinaigrette (made with 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar and 1 tablespoon olive oil, blended)
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease a 20cm x 30cm glass or ceramic pie dish.
- Spray a large frying pan with oil and place over a medium-high heat. Cook chicken in batches for 3-4 minutes or until browned. Transfer into a bowl. Spray pan with a little more oil and add leek, thyme and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until leek has softened.
- Return chicken to pan. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until combined. Add stock and stir to combine. Add sour cream and tarragon then season with pepper and stir to combine. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until chicken is almost cooked through and sauce has thickened. Remove from heat and set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Stir in peas and carrots.
- Spoon mixture into prepared dish. Lightly spray sheets of filo with oil then fold each in half. Pleat each sheet (by lightly scrunching with your hands) and place over filling to cover pie completely. Brush with a little milk and cook for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
- Combine mesclun and tomatoes. Drizzle with vinaigrette and serve with pie.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 16g
–Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 7g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.