HFG orange and almond cake
Time to make: 55 mins , plus 1 hr to boil oranges
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 3 small or 2 large oranges
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 70g ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder*
- *NOTE: Ingredients with an asterisk (*) indicate that although this ingredient is usually gluten-free, it's wise to check the label to be sure as product ingredients can vary and formulations can change.
Total fat 6g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 1g
1 Preheat oven to 170°C. Line a 20cm tin with baking paper.
2 In a medium saucepan cover unpeeled oranges with water and boil for 1 hour. Drain, cool, then use a stick blender or food processor to purée unpeeled oranges. Pour into a large bowl and set aside.
3 In a separate bowl beat egg whites until fluffy.
4 To orange purée add egg yolks, sugar, almonds and vanilla. Sift in flour and baking powder. Stir to combine. Gently fold in egg whites until just combined.
5 Pour into prepared tin. Bake for 35-45 minutes then cool for 10 minutes before turning out. Serve dusted with icing sugar, if preferred.
2 oranges (zest and juice
1 teaspoon baking powder
75g ground almonds
120g desiccated coconut
What we did
- Added whole puréed oranges
- Reduced the amount of sugar and eggs
- Removed the coconut
Traditional orange cake (per serve)
Total energy 1620kJ
Total fat 15g (8g saturated fat)
HFG orange and almond cake (per serve)
Total energy 820kJ
Total fat 6g (1g saturated fat)
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us