Hot and spicy chicken noodle soup
(at time of publication)
- 180g dried egg noodles (we used Hokkien noodles)
- 1 cup reduced-salt chicken stock
- 1 stalk lemongrass, trimmed, bruised
- 400g chicken breast fillets, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2–3 teaspoons dried chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 600g (about 6 cups) coleslaw salad mix
- 1 egg, gently whisked
- chopped fresh coriandercilantroX, to serve (optional)
1 Cook noodles according to the packet instructions. Set aside and keep warm.
2 Place the stock, 3 cups water and lemongrass in a large saucepan over medium heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer to keep warm, allowing lemongrass to infuse.
3 Meanwhile combine chicken, onion, garlic and chilli flakes in a bowl; set aside to marinate for a few minutes.
4 Heat peanut oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add marinated chicken to pan. When chicken is browned on one side, add the coleslaw mix and cook, stirring, for a further 2—3 minutes.
5 Divide the egg noodles among 4 serving bowls. Top noodles with stir-fried chicken and coleslaw.
6 Bring the stock back to the boil and stir to create a whirlpool; pour the whisked egg into the stock and stir with a fork so it cooks in long strands. Discard lemongrass. Pour egg and stock over noodles, and serve. Top with fresh coriander leaves, if desired.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free noodles and check stock is gluten free.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 8g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 7g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.