Japanese sushi balls with kale and avocado salad
- 250g pouch microwavable medium-grain brown rice
- 2 tablespoons Japanese rice wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon wasabi paste
- ¼ cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 210g can red salmon, drained
- 1 sheet nori (seaweed sheet), crushed in small flakes
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 4 cups baby kale
- 1 small avocado, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled in ribbons
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, peeled in ribbons
- 1 tablespoon Japanese rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt-reduced soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice bran oil
1 Microwave rice following packet directions. Remove pouch from microwave, open and pour rice vinegar over rice. Leave rice to absorb vinegar.
2 Combine wasabi and mayonnaise in a medium-sized bowl. Stir well. Add salmon and crushed nori with vinegar rice. Stir to combine.
3 Wet hands and roll each tablespoon of mixture into about 16 small balls. Roll sushi balls lightly in sesame seeds. Set aside.
4 To make salad, combine ingredients in a large salad bowl. Toss well.
5 To make dressing, combine ingredients in a small jar. Seal jar and shake to combine well.
6 Divide kale and avocado salad among serving plates and top with reserved sushi balls. Drizzle with dressing and serve.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 23g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 6g
- Make it gluten free: Check mayonnaise and sweet chilli sauce are gluten free and use gluten-free soy sauce.
- Make it low FODMAP: Use half an avocado only. Use a sweet chilli sauce that does not contain onion or garlic.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us