Japanese sushi balls with kale and avocado salad
(at time of publication)
- 250g pouch microwavable medium-grain brown rice
- 2 tablespoons Japanese rice wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon wasabi paste
- ¼ cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 210g can red salmon, drained
- 1 sheet nori (seaweed sheet), crushed in small flakes
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 4 cups baby kale
- 1 small avocado, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled in ribbons
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, peeled in ribbons
- 1 tablespoon Japanese rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt-reduced soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice bran oil
1 Microwave rice following packet directions. Remove pouch from microwave, open and pour rice vinegar over rice. Leave rice to absorb vinegar.
2 Combine wasabi and mayonnaise in a medium-sized bowl. Stir well. Add salmon and crushed nori with vinegar rice. Stir to combine.
3 Wet hands and roll each tablespoon of mixture into about 16 small balls. Roll sushi balls lightly in sesame seeds. Set aside.
4 To make salad, combine ingredients in a large salad bowl. Toss well.
5 To make dressing, combine ingredients in a small jar. Seal jar and shake to combine well.
6 Divide kale and avocado salad among serving plates and top with reserved sushi balls. Drizzle with dressing and serve.
- Make it gluten free: Check mayonnaise and sweet chilli sauce are gluten free and use gluten-free soy sauce.
- Make it low FODMAP: Use half an avocado only. Use a sweet chilli sauce that does not contain onion or garlic.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 23g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 6g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.