Korean-style barbecue chicken
- 3 tablespoons salt-reduced soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, chopped
- 600g skinless, boneless chicken thighs (if you have the choice, smaller thighs are easier to serve)
- To serve
- 4 medium carrots, grated
- about 2 cups cooked rice
- 16 lettuce leaves
- 1 cup shredded or thinly sliced daikon or radish
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh coriandercilantroX (optional)
1 Place soy sauce, brown sugar, oil and ginger in a sturdy plastic bag or shallow dish that will just hold chicken thighs spread out in one layer. Add garlic then massage bag or stir to combine.
2 Add chicken and massage bag so chicken is coated in marinade. Squeeze out as much air as possible then seal bag.
3 Leave to marinate at room temperature for 15 minutes or refrigerate and marinate for up to 24 hours turning chicken pieces occasionally, removing them from the fridge and standing at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before cooking.
4 Cook on preheated barbecue or place 5-10cm below a preheated grill each side for 5-6 minutes or until the thickest piece is cooked through (test by cutting through the thickest piece: when there is no pink in the middle, meat is cooked). When cooked, transfer to a warmed serving dish. Stand for 5 minutes then cut each thigh in 3 pieces.
5 To serve pile 1 grated carrot then rice on a lettuce leaf, top with one-third of a chicken thigh, some daikon and a sprinkle of coriander (if using). Roll loosely then eat.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 10g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 4g
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free soy sauce.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.