Lamb and vege meatballs with spiced lentils
(at time of publication)
- 200g lamb mince
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 cup finely chopped mushrooms (portobello or Swiss brown)
- ½ leek, finely chopped
- ½ cup chopped parsley, plus extra, to serve
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes (optional)
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika, plus 1 teaspoon for lentil mix
- 1 egg
- 400g can lentils in spring water, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup salt-reduced chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups chopped kale or silver beet leaves, large stalks removed
- 2 tablespoons plain low-fat yoghurt, to serve
- lemon zest to garnish (optional)
1 Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking dish with baking paper. In a large bowl, thoroughly combine lamb mince, carrot, mushrooms, leek, parsley, chilli, celery salt, 1 tablespoon of the paprika and egg. Form mixture into small balls, about the size of a golf ball, and place on baking dish. Cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes, turning half-way through cooking time.
2 Meanwhile, in a saucepan, place lentils, stock, remaining 1 teaspoon paprika and cumin over a medium heat and bring to a simmer. Simmer gently for 5 minutes. Add water if you need more liquid. Add kale and cook till soft.
3 Serve meatballs with spiced lentils and yoghurt, garnished with parsley and lemon zest if desired.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 11g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 15g
Make it gluten free: Check stock and ground spices are gluten free.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us