Lamb shank, capsicum and lentil casserole
(at time of publication)
- 4 French-trimmed lamb shanks (ask your butcher to do this)
- ¼ cup plain flourall purpose flourX
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large red capsicum, deseeded and diced
- 1 large green capsicum, deseeded and diced
- 2 ½ cups salt-reduced chicken stock
- 1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed
- freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley (optional)
1 Preheat oven to 200ºC. Lightly coat lamb shanks with flour. Heat the oil in a heavy- based flameproof casserole dish over medium heat. Add 2 shanks and cook, turning occasionally, for 8 minutes, or until browned on all sides. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining shanks.
2 Add onion to the casserole and cook, stirring often, for 4 minutes, or until soft. Add red and green capsicum and stir until well combined. Cook for 3 minutes, or until capsicum is tender. Add the chicken stock and lentils, and bring to the boil. Season with pepper. Return shanks to the casserole, cover and place in the oven for 1 hour, or until meat is very tender.
3 Spoon lentil mixture among serving plates. Top with a lamb shank and sprinkle with parsley, if using, to serve.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 18.4g
–Saturated fat 6.3g
Dietary fibre 6.2g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us