Low-FODMAP spicy lentil soup
(at time of publication)
- 1 tablespoon garlic-infused oil (see tip)
- 240g buttercup squash or kumarasweet-potatoX, cut in 2cm cubes
- 4 medium carrots, cut in 2cm cubes
- 1 cup finely chopped leek, green part only
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon mild curry powder*
- 400g can no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
- pinch dried chilli flakes*
- 4 cups low-FODMAP vegetable stock* (we used Massel vegetable stock cube 7s in water)
- 400g can lentils, drained, rinsed well
- 1 ½ cups baby spinach or chopped collard greens or kale, tough ribs removed as needed
- pinch salt and pepper
- juice and zest of 1 small lemon
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley, to serve (optional)
- 6 tablespoons feta, crumbled, to serve
- 8 slices gluten-free bread, to serve
- *Check curry powder, dried chilli flakes and stock do not include onion powder, garlic powder or other high-FODMAP ingredients.
- Place a large saucepan over medium heat. Add oil and cook squash, carrot and leek for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften. Add cumin and curry powder and cook for a further 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, chilli flakes and stock. Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add lentils and greens and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Gently mash soup to thicken. Season with salt and pepper. Stir through lemon juice and zest to taste. Garnish with parsley (if using) and feta. Serve with gluten-free toast.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 14g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 12g
Make it gluten free: Check stock and ground spices are gluten free.
This soup can be frozen, just leave off the garnish before freezing.
Choose a clear garlic-infused oil that doesn’t contain garlic pieces.
What is the low-FODMAP diet?
The low-FODMAP diet is used by people with gastrointestinal disorders, such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome. While these recipes are suitable for everyone, the diet is restrictive and not suitable for people without these conditions.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us