Mild chicken curry
(at time of publication)
- 600g skinless, boneless chicken thighs, fat trimmed (each thigh cut in 3 pieces)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground coriandercilantroX
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 tablespoons low-fat plain yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2-3 tablespoons grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and grated
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- ½ x 400g can light coconut milk
- 2 courgetteszucchini, summer squashX, cut in 3cm batons or 6 button mushrooms, quartered
- 4 cups chopped baby spinach or silver beet
- 3 cups cooked brown rice, to serve
- 4 tablespoons fresh coriandercilantroX, to garnish
- In a medium bowl, combine chicken, spices and yoghurt until chicken is thoroughly coated.
- In a large pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add tomato paste, ginger and garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add chicken along with yoghurt marinade, cooking until chicken starts to colour.
- Add tomatoes, coconut milk and courgettes or mushrooms. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes. Add spinach and cover pan with lid to allow it to wilt (2 minutes).
- Serve curry with brown rice. Garnish with coriander.
Make it low FODMAP: Swap onion for 1 cup diced green leek leaves and use courgettes instead of mushrooms. Replace garlic and oil with garlic-infused olive oil.
To make ahead and freeze, omit rice and coriander, allow to cool, transfer to plastic container and freeze for up to four weeks. Defrost and reheat until piping hot.
Enjoy leftovers for lunch by reheating curry and placing inside a warmed wrap.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 17g
–Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 7g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.