Mixed vegetable lentil bake
- 1 ¾ cups red lentils
- 4 rashers lean bacon, grilled
- olive spray oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups raw mixed vegetables such as carrots, cabbage and leek, diced
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 400g can diced tomatoes with garlic and herbs
- 1 cup vegetable stock made with 1 teaspoon stock powder and 1 cup water
- ½ cup freshly grated reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1 Cook lentils in boiling water until tender. Meanwhile, grill bacon then cut in small pieces. Drain and place in a lightly greased ovenproof dish. Preheat oven to 190°C.
2 Heat a large non-stick frying pan with oil spray and cook onion until softened. Add some more oil spray and cook the first lot of vegetables for 3-4 minutes.
3 Add to lentils and toss to mix. Stir in spinach with chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock. Add bacon. Toss lightly to mix. Season to taste.
4 Sprinkle with cheeses and bake for about 15 minutes until lightly golden. Serve garnished with fresh parsley if preferred.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free varieties of bacon, canned tomatoes and stock.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 13g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 12g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like