Japanese braised beef
- 600g gravy beef, chopped in 2cm chunks
- 600g waxy potatoes, scrubbed and cut in chunks
- 5cm piece ginger, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- 1 teaspoon salt-reduced soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin or brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- pinch chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 ¾ cups boiling water
- 120g bag baby spinach leaves or 3 cups chopped spinach
- To serve
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 red capsicum, finely sliced
- 3 courgettezucchiniXszucchini, summer squashX, finely sliced
- 2 cups green beans, trimmed
1 Using the sauté function on your slow cooker (or using a pan over a medium-high heat), brown the beef in batches for about 10 minutes.
2 Layer beef, potatoes and ginger in slow cooker. Mix miso, soy sauce, mirin, chilli and water in a jug and stir to combine. Add to slow cooker. Cook on high for 6 hours.
3 Once cooked, add spinach to slow cooker and stir through gently. Reheat until spinach is just wilted.
4 Heat sesame oil in a wok or pan and stir-fry vegetables until tender. Serve with beef and broth.
Make it gluten free: Check miso paste and soy sauce are gluten free.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 11g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 6g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like