Moroccan lentil soup
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large stalk celery, sliced
- 1 teaspoon each coriandercilantroX, cumin and curry powder
- ½ teaspoon each smoked paprika, ground cinnamon and turmeric
- 400g can no-added-salt lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 red capsicum, seeds removed and diced
- 300g kumarasweet-potatoX, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 3 cups reduced-salt vegetable stock plus 3 cups water
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2 ½ cups baby spinach, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup coriandercilantroX, to serve
- 1 cup plain unsweetened yoghurt
- 3 wholemeal pita breads, toasted and halved
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium. Add onion, garlic, carrot and celery and cook until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Increase heat, add spices and stir. Cook for 1 minute before adding lentils, capsicum, kumara, stock and water. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer until kumara is tender, about 25-30 minutes.
- Transfer half of the soup to a blender and puree. Add back to the pot, season and stir through spinach and lemon juice.
- Divide soup among 6 bowls. Garnish with coriander and serve with yoghurt and crisp pita breads.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 4g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 9g
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free flat bread instead of pita. Check ground spices and vegetable stock are gluten free.
Make it vegan: Check vegetable stock is vegan and use a vegan coconut yoghurt.
This soup can be made in a slow cooker – simply place all ingredients, except spinach and lemon juice, into the slow cooker and cook on a low setting for 6-8 hours. If you are using dried lentils, rinse and add at the beginning. If you are using canned lentils, drain and add in the last hour of cooking. Purée half the soup, then combine the two halves again. Stir through spinach and lemon juice, season and serve.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us