Chilli tomato sauce with chickpeas
- 1 quantity Tomato and vegetable sauce*
- 2 tablespoons hot chilli sauce (I used Lingham's)
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 400g can chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons lite sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriandercilantroX
- *Tomato and vegetable sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium leek, chopped
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup hot water
- 400g can whole tomatoes in juice
- 410g can tomato purée
Log In or Sign Up to save this recipe to your shopping list.
1 Put the Tomato and vegetable sauce* into a saucepan with the hot chilli sauce and heat, stirring, until simmering. Add the broccoli, then cover and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
2 Add the chickpeas and heat, stirring, for 1-2 minutes until everything is hot. Serve on rice, topped with sour cream and coriander.
*Tomato and vegetable sauce
Heat olive oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add celery and leek and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes until soft. Add wine and water and bubble for 5 minutes until the liquid has almost evaporated. Add tomatoes and tomato purée and stir with a wooden spoon. Simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered, until the sauce starts to thicken.
You can also use this sauce as a base in these recipes:
Rosemary chicken with capsicum and tomato sauce
Spinach and black olive sauce with pasta
Tuna and basil sauce in jacket potatoes
- If you’re pressed for time, use a microwaveable pack of rice or quick-cooking couscous instead of brown rice.
- You could use any green frozen vegetable – such as beans or peas – instead of the broccoli. Add them straight from the freezer and cook until just tender.
Chopping the broccoli nice and small will help it cook more quickly.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 5g
–Saturated fat 1.3g
Dietary fibre 6.7g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.