Moroccan pumpkin, chickpea and haloumi burgers
- 200g roasted capsicum (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 long red chilli, deseeded
- 1 lemon, juice
- 400g butternut pumpkin, cut in 1.5cm pieces
- 400g can chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX in spring water, drained, rinsed
- 1 large courgettezucchiniX, grated
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriandercilantroX
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs (see tip)
- 50g haloumi cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 4 wholegrain sourdough rolls or wholegrain wraps
- 2 large dill pickles, sliced
- Place capsicum, chilli and lemon juice in a food processor. Blend to combine sauce and set aside.
- Bring a medium-sized saucepan of water to the boil. Add pumpkin and cook for 3-4 minutes or until just tender. Drain pumpkin. Leave to steam-dry for 3-4 minutes.
- Place cooked pumpkin in a large bowl with chickpeas and mash to form a slightly chunky mixture. Add courgette, cumin, coriander, egg, flour, breadcrumbs and haloumi to bowl. Stir mixture to combine.
- Place a large non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add oil and heat. Wet hands to shape vegetable mixture in 4 large patties (see tip). Add patties to pan and cook each side, turning carefully with a spatula, for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Divide spinach among rolls. Transfer burger patties to rolls, top with reserved capsicum sauce and pickles and serve.
Make it gluten free: Check ground spices are gluten free and use gluten-free flour, breadcrumbs and bread rolls.
- Find panko breadcrumbs in the Asian aisle of supermarkets or use regular dried breadcrumbs.
- This recipe makes 4 large patties. Or make 6 smaller patties and store remaining 2 in an airtight container in the fridge for a tasty lunch the next day.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 10g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 11g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like