Mushroom and cannellini bean stroganoff
Time to make: 3 hrs 30 mins
( Hands-on time: 20 mins )
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 25g dried porcini mushrooms
- 25g reduced-fat spread
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 sticks celery, sliced
- 250g Swiss brown mushrooms, halved or quartered, depending on size
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed (optional)
- 3 tablespoons plain flourall purpose flourX
- 200ml dry white wine
- 150ml salt-reduced vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- small bunch thyme
- 410g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- extra-light sour cream, to serve
Total fat 9g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 8g
1 Preheat slow cooker. Put dried mushrooms into a heat-proof bowl. Cover with 200ml boiling water. Soak for 20 minutes.
2 Heat spread and oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add onion and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in celery, fresh mushrooms and garlic (if using) and cook for 2-3 minutes. Mix in flour, then gradually add wine and stock. Stir in mustard and cayenne pepper. Reserve a few thyme sprigs to garnish, then chop the rest and add to pan together with soaked mushrooms and their liquid. Bring to the boil, stirring.
3 Pour mixture into slow cooker, then add beans. Cover and cook on low for 2 1/2-3 hours.
4 To serve, spoon onto plates, garnish with thyme leaves stripped from sprigs and top with dollop of sour cream (if using).
This recipe is for a standard size 3-litre slow-cooker. To make it in a larger cooker, increase the ingredient quantities by half as much again and cook for the same length of time.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us