Orange-scented bulgar pilaf
- 2 red onions, sliced into rings
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, prepared as above
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups bulgar wheat
- zest and juice of 2 oranges, juice made up to 2½ cups with water
- handful (about 1/4 cup) each of green and black olives
- ½ cup toasted almonds, chopped
- flatleaf parsley, roughly chopped, to garnish
1 Sauté the onion and fennel in the oil for 10 min until both are tender to the point of a knife. Stir in the bulgar wheat, the orange zest and diluted juice.
2 Bring to the boil, then take off the heat and leave to stand, covered, for 15 min or until the bulgar wheat is fluffy and tender.
3 Stir in the olives and almonds and season with black pepper. Serve garnished with the parsley.
Almonds are a super performer for protecting you against heart disease – they’re low in saturated fat and rich in calcium and magnesium. Try having three to six a day to reap the benefits.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 16.2g
–Saturated fat 1.7g
Dietary fibre 5.2g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.